Pages

Saturday, September 4, 2010

September Readings Etc.



In the middle of too many projects. Feeling a dire need to finish them one by one. But as I have learnt, my mind works slowly. Sometimes the best thing I can do is to keep coming back to the projects regularly, if not on an everyday basis, and then wait for the fruits to ripen in their own time.I am not having to teach this year, because I have one of the coveted fellowships. There is a pressure that comes with it. The feeling that I need to use my time REALLY well, and achieve a lot. I am trying not to succumb to that pressure, and work on steadily towards things. Apart from all the dissertation-related stuff, these are the books that I am trying to take a peak at:

1. Blanche on the Lam by Barbara Neely. An intriguing mystery novel which situates race, class and gender right in the middle of the problems it tries to solve.

2.Averno by Louise Gluck. Enjoying it so far. Will write a more detailed report later.

3.Object Lessons by Eavan Boland. Same here too. This book will need a separate post, if not many.

4. Go Down, Moses by William Faulkner. Is he really as fucked up as I think he is?

5.Renaissance by Ruth Forman. More on it later

6. A Dying Colonialism by Franz Fanon. Really a dissertation reading, but deserves an entry in this blog

7. Climbing the Mango Tree by Madhur Jaffrey. Since I am contemplating writing a food memoir myself...:)))

8. Confessions of an Ugly Sister by Gregory Maguire. Anything to do with Cinderella or fairytales in general stimulates me

9. Jalpaikather Esraj by Mridul Dasgupta. I am trying to go back to the texts I read YEARS ago

No comments:

Post a Comment