Pages

Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Not Satisfied With Language

Often times I am not satisfied with words or terms we have. For example, I often think, the word racism is too paltry to describe the immense horror that empires have unleashed on peoples and communities throughout the world. In the same way, sexism doesn't do it for me in most contexts. I want something more, something more specific which will allow me to express the complexities of it all. I am often suspicious of using terms like "strong women." In the same way, I am wary of the term "intelligent." In the first case, I want to ask, Strong yes, but in what way? I know lots of women who are strong, who manage their families with iron-hands, matriarchs so to say, and they very strongly defend and reinforce patriarchal norms in their spheres of influence. So, whenever anyone uses the term "strong women", I gently want to point out, "strong doesn't necessarily mean de-stabilizing patriarchy. Women can decide to be of service to patriarchy in very very strong ways." And in case of "intelligent", too, I want more qualifiers. I don't think "intelligence" and "intellect" are the same. I am someone who values intellect much more than intelligence. And even in there, I want to think of the kind of intellect one possesses, its social, historical, ideological implications. If there is one thing that comes out of it, it is this: I am dis-satisfied with everyday language. I want to push our everyday language to explore the complexities of human histories a little bit more. The older I grow, I think, it is my lack of contentment with everyday language and its ability to explore the deeper realities of human life that I am propelled towards literature, towards theory, and last but not the least, to write myself. Stories, poems, memoirs break open terms like racism, sexism, homophoebia...I mean, the words which have evolved primarily out of a human rights based approach. Rights discourse is a beautiful thing, I don't want to live in a world without it. But I also don't think it expresses adequately the immense complexities of systemic oppressions, resistances or even human existence in general. So we write. Create art.

No comments:

Post a Comment