Pages

Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Writing in an "I" Voice

I have been afraid of writing in first person, unless it's a persona poem. So far I had defined persona poem rather narrowly: I would take characters from existing stories, myths, tales and would try to write in their voice. But I have largely avoided writing in an "I" voice otherwise. Because I was scared that they would be read as confessional and autobiographical. Whatever experience I attribute to the "I" persona of the poem will be attributed to me. I think, there is a strong trend to read any poem written by a woman in "I" voice as autobiographical. But, it's especially true about the poems produced by women of color in this country. The "I" in the poem, most of the times, get read anthropologically, and I have resisted that. Now, I am in a workshop which requires that I "adopt" an "I" persona for the length of the class (ten weeks) and write from the perspective of that persona. It's challenging, precisely because this is something I have avoided so far. We still haven't progressed enough for me to generate detailed comments on the process, but I have signed up for the challenge. Let's see where it takes me!

2 comments:

  1. Very cool you signed up for that "I" persona workshop! I get so sick of people assuming my "I" poems are about "me." I mean, come on. Even when I make it clear it's a persona many readers persist in assuming "I" am, for instance, the woman in the poem is who is half Demi Moore and Angelina Jolie. Dur!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Martha! Thanks so much for dropping by, and commenting! I feel so proud to possess a copy of your "What The Truth Tastes Like"! And looking forward to read your newest!

    ReplyDelete