Pages

Sunday, January 3, 2010

Choice of the Narrator/Protagonist

Decided to go back to one of the stories I have turned in for Beth Ann Bauman's workshop. In a nutshell, it's a story about a little girl getting into a school, or rather not getting into a school. It was one of the first stories that I had ever written, and admittedly, had more autobiographical details than a lot of the other stuff I had written more recently. It wasn't a very popular story in the preceding workshops. Most of my colleagues thought the story wasn't going anywhere, there wasn't much happening, and while I do think, part of it has to do with the American school of setting up the conflict-exploring the conflict-resolution of the conflict model, the story too had some glaring problems. Part of it is that, I was too attached to the authenticity of the material, the real-life occurrences, rather than the logic of the story. So, as a result, it kept seeming like a sweet little childhood story, an exercise, more than an actual story. Hardly any readers caught on the intensity of the violence I was trying to communicate, the inherent violence with which we begin our lives within an educational institution. So, part of the revision process meant that I throw out a lot of the autobiographical stuff, situate this little girl, the protagonist of the story in a background very different from mine in certain ways, and actually, make life much more harder for her than it had ever been for me.

But then, I landed in another problem. Most of my readers wanted the story to be narrated in a first-person voice, Beth herself thought that the main character is too young to reflect upon the crises I am dealing with, and instead of having her as the main character, I should have the mother narrate the story, who clearly has more at stake. I do agree, and I do think, that needs to be a totally different story, which, at this point is slow-cooking in the back-burner of the stove. But I do want this story to be this little girl's, and although I am not sure why, I am resisting the first-person narration, because it seems to me, it will take away a lot from the story. So, at this point, I am just trying to figure out where this story can go, and reading Richard Russo's essay In Defense of Omniscience, hoping it will provide me with some clues to my problems.

No comments:

Post a Comment