Pages

Thursday, January 14, 2010

Parrot-Lores and My Poem

I have always had this thing for parrots. So, I wasn't surprised when somehow the words "Parrot Kings" stumbled out of my pen when I was working on a very tentative rough draft of the "Generations" poem. Then, now that I have a slightly less tentative third draft, I am wondering what prompted my choice of the Parrot King as the father/husband. I am not very sure, but what I am realizing, if done well, this can open up a range of possibilities.

a. Parrots have always been looked upon as these talking birds, fetishized as such. In that sense, they have always been very close to human beings. Now, that can be an interesting location seen from the eyes of a parrot.

b. Eagles vs. Parrots (Eagles symbolizing royal, imperial power while parrots symbolize intelligence, word-skills etc.)

c. the presence of parrots in the urban landscape of India/South Asia (the astrologer parrots)

d. the wealth of parrot-tales in Indian folklore

e. Rabindranath's tota-kahini

So, basically, immense possibilities in carving out a historical space for parrots, which would also hopefully help me to characterize the Parrot King better. I still don't know the end of the tunnel here, but at least, I am beginning to see an opening. I think I have already poked my head through it. Now, I really don't have any other option than to keep walking through it, and see where it takes me. If I am lucky, the other end of the tunnel will provide a glorious view of some little explored terrain.

Some will say, this where my Muses have pushed me! I prefer to say, the historical unconscious!

No comments:

Post a Comment