Pages

Monday, January 11, 2010

Concluding the Story...Characterization

Two of my readers think that I should have ended the "A Phuchka for Bindudi" story differently. Or rather, I should show Bindudi's reactions. I am still thinking about it. On the one hand, I do have this kind of love for "open endings." So, for me, the present conclusion symbolized an interaction, an attempt on the part of the "we" voice of the story to initiate a contact, which breaks the conventional mold of their previous interactions with Bindudi. Now, I wanted to have it as an attempt, a suggestion. Nothing final. Who know how Bindudi will react after that. Who knows if that small interaction will lead to relationships. There are so many "ifs" and "buts" there. And those "ifs" and "buts" can be stories in themselves. But then, I do have this tendency of leaving out vital confrontations out of the story. In one of the stories I had workshoped in one of the UCLA Extension workshops, I had ended the story at this attempt of confrontation. But the actual confrontation never happened. Partly because I felt, in the context I was writing about, all the inter-personal complexities and traumas can't be solved by mere confrontation. The very notion that "confrontation" can lead to something is, I feel, rooted thoroughly in a certain kind of worldview. For me, sometimes, certain things can't be confronted, and the biggest "confrontation" lies in the recognition that there will always be certain blank areas, non-existent answers. But that's not what this Bindudi story is all about.

So, now I am trying to think, if I indeed make Bindudi speak, what will she tell these girls? Come and have tea with me? A happy rejuvenation of sorts? Probably, that's what readers would like to see too. A kind of bridge-building! But, then, what purpose will that bridge serve? I am not sure. Or, do I want Bindudi to snap back? That will be consistent with the rest of the choices I have made throughout the story, but what will that signify either? That Bindudi might be going through certain changes, but she is still holding on to some of her basic values/traits etc. which made her into Bindudi in the first instance?

This needs more thoughts...personally, I am more drawn to the second one. Because, I don't think, for one thing, that all stories need to end with a happy happy happy note. That's not what life is all about. Secondly, I do want to show all these contradictory resolves in this woman's character. So lets' see...

No comments:

Post a Comment